JOIN AND LEAD OUR BOARD OF DIRECTORS!
COLECTIVA LEGAL DEL PUEBLO IS ACTIVELY SEEKING PASSIONATE AND EXPERIENCED BOARD MEMBERS TO GUIDE AND SUPPORT OUR MISSION OF BUILDING COMMUNITY LEADERSHIP AND POWER FOR MIGRANT JUSTICE THROUGH LEGAL ADVOCACY AND EDUCATION.
• We are looking to build and grow a board of directors, ideally for a two year term starting in 2019. We are seeking diverse and committed board members with experience in areas including but not limited to: non-profit management, finance and accounting, community organizing, leadership development, business development, media and public relations.
• We are looking for a board to reflect our staff and the community we serve, both in demographic as well as life experience. Board members would ideally be willing to support our growth and strategic development, while also being willing to volunteer occasionally at community events, legal clinics, or fundraisers. You do not have to have previous board membership experience, although that would be great. Spanish speaking candidates preferred, but not required.
ABOUT COLECTIVA LEGAL DEL PUEBLO'S MISSION AND MODEL
Colectiva Legal del Pueblo is a non-hierarchical collective organization founded for and by undocumented immigrants working to build community leadership and power for migrant justice through legal advocacy and education.
As a legal collective, we are a horizontal organization that provides legal services to communities in need. CLP advocates on behalf of immigrants, lends legal support at protests and provides law-related workshops. Our collective works to empower people to know their rights and de-mystifying the legal process. We believe in a shared leadership model and consensus-based decision making that reflects our mission and values.
• Community Building, Education, and Organizing: Our community based trainings and workshops empower immigrant and undocumented communities to know their rights, de-mystify the legal process, and build collective power.
Over the years, we have organized hundreds of clinics providing access to education, immigration services, and family protection. In the past, we supported and represented leaders of the hunger strike in the Northwest Detention Center, and this year, we organized for one of our clients to receive sanctuary in a local church. This month, we launched Cooperativa Vida, a leadership program for migrant families in Washington State that explores art and healing and fosters resilience in community.
• Legal Services and Litigation: We provide low bono and pro bono immigration legal services for both detained and non-detained people. As a team, we offer a wide variety of direct legal services to fight deportations and keep families together, including but not limited to asylum, family based petitions, and violence against women cases.
• Policy and Advocacy: In collaboration with community members and organizations, we advocate for and lobby for statewide laws that advance and protect immigrant rights in Washington State and beyond.
HOW TO APPLY (AND NEXT STEPS)
1) Please apply to the board by clicking the button bellow and tell us a little bit about you and why you are applying.
2) We will set up a meeting with 2 or 3 Colectiva staff members to ask questions and assess whether this would be a good fit.
3) Upon deciding to move forward, we will offer an orientation, which would include an overview of our organization’s structure, financial health, and strategic goals, and a chance for new board members to review and sign our mutual agreements. And of course, meet and greet with the staff!Apply to the Colectiva Board